Wednesday 21 May 2014

CRM 2011/2013 The Power of Dialog for My Customer Requirement

In CRM 2011, Dialog was very first time introduced as the new feature. And this is one of the favorite feature.

But, to be honest I have to say that I very seldom to use it in my projects, because sometimes the form and web resource, or even the custom ASP.Net can solve the requirement issues. Dialog is powerful, but it is limited only for selected record, it means that Dialog is contextual based on the selected record and cannot be trigger for more than one record passing to the Dialog.

image

If more than 1 record selected, then you cannot start Dialog.

image

But, in this case, I really need to use Dialog.

I have requirement that the user should not have more than 1 Won Quote in 1 Opportunity and even though the user can close the Quote as Won, it is not a warranty that the Opportunity cannot be closed. That 1 Won Quote will be recognized as the Opportunity Actual Revenue, not from user input nor from Opportunity Product.

The standard CRM to close the Quote, must using Create Order request. The Create Order in CRM allows user to Close the Opportunity from the Special Form if no more Active or Draft Quote and I guess we cannot modifythe special form.

So that I cannot use the standard Create Order to close the Quote, since if you have more than 1 Active Quote then create order, then you can have more than 1 Won Quote to Close your Opportunity.
So that, I design to create a lookup field to the Quote then user has to select the Won Quote by himself.

image

Yes, it is done, why you still need Dialog?

In this form, user can easily change the Won Quote, and also be aware that CRM 2013 has Auto-Save feature, then if you change the field value then, in certain times, the form will be saved accordingly. Yes, you can turn off this Auto-Save. But, let’s say you are the user then just change this you can change the whole Revenue of the Opportunity (in our case).

Then, because of that requirement, I was intending to have the methods such as the Change Manager or Change Business Unit features in CRM User Form, those methods are elegant, since the fields was disabled, then user can change it by clicking the Ribbon, so with assumption, the user has full awareness to do this Smile

image

Then, I create a Dialog, but when I was creating that, I found some limitation in the nested condition :

image

I cannot create more steps inside that condition. I guess it is the limitation.

Then, I found workaround, that is by creating new Dialog as Child from that steps.

image

Then, here is the result :

Unordered Response Values Result

And even I can get the Dynamic Tooltip as Additional Information.

image

To trigger a Dialog I can use Ribbon that executes a Javascript as well.

Here is good example to get started using Dialog :

https://community.dynamics.com/crm/b/crmpowerobjects/archive/2014/01/08/creating-dialogs-in-dynamics-crm-2013.aspx

Hope it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Name is..